I always use Japanese Short Grain Rice for ‘Takikomigohan’, that is a Japanese dish of Rice cooked with other ingredients and seasonings all together. However, for this dish that I wanted to serve with South East Asian flavoured sauce, I believe Jasmine Rice is better suited. You may wish to serve this dish with Coriander, but I didn’t, because I have some Coriander haters in my family.
2 cups (*180ml cup) Jasmine Rice
1 small piece Ginger *sliced into fine strips
1 teaspoon Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder
4 Chicken Thigh Fillets *about 600g
Salt & Pepper
1 Spring Onion *use green parts
2 tablespoons Lime OR Lemon Juice
2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons Chilli Garlic Sauce *Or Fresh Garlic & Chilli as required
1 teaspoon grated Ginger
1 Spring Onion *use lighter colour parts, finely chopped
*Note: You may wish to add Coriander to the sauce
- Season Chicken Thigh Fillets with Salt & Pepper.
- Wash Rice by stirring it thoroughly in water with your hand and drain the water. Place it into the rice cooker’s inner pot and add Water up to the 2-cups-marking. Sprinkle with Ginger and Chicken Bouillon Powder.
- Place the green parts of Spring Onion on the Rice, and place Chicken Fillets on top. Press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking.
- To make the sauce, combine all the Sauce ingredients.
- When the rice is cooked, remove the Chicken and Spring Onion, and loosen the rice gently. Discard the Spring Onion.
- Slice the Chicken Fillets, so that it would be easier to eat with chopsticks, place the Chicken next to the rice, and pour some sauce over. Served with Salad.
- *Note: This recipe works with other type of Rice and you can serve with your favourite sauce.