Chicken Katsu, deep-fried crumbed Chicken fillet, is very popular in Australia. They are often served with Tomato based sauce and cheese. I want to introduce a Sesame Miso Sauce for you to try. As I always eat it with Rice, I made it into a Rice Bowl dish. This is a very popular dish in Japan.
300g Chicken Breast Fillets
Salt and Pepper
Oil for frying
2 Servings warm Cooked Rice
1 to 2 Cabbage Leaves *finely sliced
Sesame Miso Sauce
1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seeds *ground
2 tablespoons Miso *Red Miso OR darker colour Miso recommended
1 tablespoon Sugar
2 tablespoons Mirin
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce *optional, depending on the type of Miso you use
- To make ‘Sesame Miso Sauce’, combine all ingredients in a small heat-proof bowl, heat in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Mix well and set side. *Note: Alter the amount of Sugar to suit your taste.
- Slice Chicken Breast Fillets in half and make them even thickness by flattening the thick parts using a meat mullet or something.
- Season with Salt and Pepper, and coat with Flour. Then dip in beaten Egg, and finally coat with Panko Breadcrumbs.
- Heat Oil to 170℃ and fry until golden and cooked through, place on a rack and drain the oil. Then cut into bite-size pieces.
- Half fill a bowl with warm Cooked Rice, cover with finely sliced Cabbage, place Chicken Katsu, and spoon the Sesame Miso Sauce over the Chicken.
- *Note: Find other sauces for Chicken Katsu