‘Chicken Tempura’ can make a yummy rice bowl dish. Simply place them on top of freshly cooked rice and drizzle the sauce over. This sauce is basically same as ‘Tentsuyu’ (Dipping Sauce for Tempura) but is has stronger flavour. Teriyaki Sauce is also recommended.
500g Chicken Breast OR Tenderloin Fillets
1 small piece Ginger *grated
1 clove Garlic *grated
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine)
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil for flavour *optional
2 to 3 tablespoon Plain Falour
Oil for frying
1 to 2 Spring Onions *finely chopped
4 servings Freshly Cooked Rice
1/4 cup Plain Flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch Flour
1/2 cup Water
1/4 teaspoon Dashi Powder
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Mirin
- Cut Chicken Fillets into 3-4cm size pieces. Combine Ginger, Garlic, Soy Sauce, Sake (Rice Wine) and Sesame Oil in a bowl, add chicken pieces, massage, and set aside.
- Place 1 Egg in 1/2 cup and add Cold Water to make it 1/2 cupful. Combine Flour and Potato Starch in a separate bowl, and Egg & Cold Water, and mix lightly to make Tempura Batter.
- Heat Oil to 170°C to 180°C. Coat the chicken pieces with Flour, dip into Tempura Batter and fry until batter is light golden and crispy. Take them out and lay them on a rack to drain the oil.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer for a few minutes.
- Half fill a bowl with Freshly Cooked Rice, place Chicken and Spring Onion on top, drizzle the sauce over and enjoy.