‘Sachi’s Coconut Cookies’ are supposed to be flat and crispy, but sometimes they turn rather round and soft. Those soft ones are actually quite popular. Then I have made it into a cake by adding more Eggs and Lemon Zest. If you love the Coconut Cookies, this cake is dangerously addictive to you.
125g Butter *cut into small pieces, softened at room temperature
3/4 cup Caster Sugar *1/2 cup is quite OK
3 Eggs *at room temperature
1 cup Self-Raising Flour
1 cup Desiccated Coconut
Zest of 1 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Beat the softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer until smooth. Add Sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If the Eggs are not warm enough, the mixture will curdle. If that happens, try to stand the bowl in warm water, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds, then continue beating until the batter becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add Lemon Zest. Fold in Flour and Desiccated Coconut with a spatula or large metal spoon until just combined. DO NOT over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the surface. *Note: I tend to spread the middle part thinner and the edges thicker.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until cooked through. Stand the cake in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Leave a Reply