Since my daughter stopped eating meat, I have been cooking more beans. I have tried all sort flavours of Japanese, Mediterranean, Indian, Middle Eastern, etc. But this is the biggest hit. Cuban!!!
Well…, I have never been to Cuba and never tasted real Cuban food. I just read some recipes and created my own version. This is the easiest possible way to cook yummy stewed Black Beans. And please note that pickled Jalapeños go very well with this dish.
2 canned Black Beans *400g x 2
1 Red Onion *finely chopped
1 Green Capsicum *finely chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons Oil
2 cloves Garlic *finely chopped
1 cup Vegetable Stock OR Chicken Stock
2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
2 teaspoons Oregano
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Salt *depending on the saltiness of Beans and Stock
Freshly Cracked Pepper
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice *OR 1 to 2 tablespoon Vinegar
Parsley *finely chopped
Pickled Jalapeños *optional
4 servings Freshly Cooked Rice
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook vegetables for a few minutes.
- Drain the Black Beans if you like, then add to the vegetables.
- Add Stock, Ground Cumin and Oregano, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Check the saltiness of the sauce, then season with Salt, Pepper and Lemon Juice.
- Sprinkle plenty of finely chopped Parsley and enjoy with Rice. You may wish to drizzle extra Lemon Juice over when eat.