This recipe has been inspired by a Cuban rice dish, ‘Arroz Congri’. I cooked it in my rice cooker just like Japanese ‘Takikomigohan’, so it is super easy to cook. The colour of the dish is supposed to be darker, but the liquid from the can of Black Beans that I used was not really black. If you cook Dry Black Beans from scratch, make sure you save the black water and use it to cook Rice. You can add Bacon. See the photo below.
4 to 5 Servings
1 can (400g) Black Beans
Water *read ‘Method 1’
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Salt *alter the amount, but it shouldn’t be too salty
1 to 2 tablespoons Olive Oil *OR Oil of your choice
1 Onion *finely chopped OR cut into small pieces
2 cloves Garlic *finely chopped
1 Capsicum *Red OR Green, OR 1/2 of each
*Note: You can add 100g Bacon, see ‘Method 3’
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Ground Paprika
2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
1/4 teaspoon Ground Chilli *optional
2 cups (180ml cup) Long Grain Rice
1 Bay Leaf
- Drain canned Black Beans and save the black liquid in a measuring jug. Add Water to make 450ml in total. Add Salt to the liquid and season it. *Note: If you cooked Dry Black Beans from scratch, use the black water.
- Heat Olive Oil in a frying pan, cook Onion and Garlic until soft, then add Capsicum and all spices, and mix well. Set aside and cool. *Note: Capsicum doesn’t need to be soft.
- Optional Bacon: If you prefer, you can add 100g Bacon. Cut into small pieces and cook with Vegetables. As Bacon is salty, you need to alter the amount of Salt in ‘Method 1’. *Note: See the photo below.
- Wash Rice, drain, and place in a rice cooker’s inner pot. Add the black water mixture, spread the stir-fried Vegetables and drained Black Beans, but DO NOT stir. Add Bay Leaf, and press COOK/START button to start cooking.
- When the Rice is cooked and steamed, gently mix to combine. *Note: Add extra Salt if required. 1-2 tablespoons Lemon Juice can be added.