’Namasu’ is vinegared vegetables and most commonly Daikon and Carrot are used because of their joyful red & white colours. There must be some different recipes for this dish, but my family’s recipe is simple. I sometimes have a craving for this refreshing dish when I am very tired.
2 to 4 Servings
Daikon 10 to 15cm
Carrot 1 to 2
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Rice Vinegar 2 tablespoons
Sugar 1 tablespoon
- Peel and slice Daikon and Carrot into 2 to 3mm thin strips. I usually use a slicer. If you cut by knife, slice them diagonally 2 to 3mm thin, then cut into 2 to 3mm strips.
- Sprinkle small amount of Salt and massage, rest for a while, then drain and squeeze to remove excess salty water.
- Mix Vinegar, Sugar and Salt, add vegetables and mix well. Set aside for about 10 minutes to let it well seasoned. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top and serve.
- Using vegetable peeler, slice Daikon and Carrots into thin ribbons.
- Mix Vinegar, Sugar and Salt, add vegetables and mix well. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top and serve.