Christmas has passed and now I have some leftover Dried Mixed Fruit. What would you make with it? Cake, Cookies, OR add it to your Granola? Today I baked Biscotti for the first time in a long time to use up the leftover Dried Fruit.
24 to 28 Biscuits
1/2 to 1 cup Dried Mixed Fruit
1 tablespoon Rum
1 & 1/4 cups Self-Rising Flour
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon *optional
2 large Eggs *lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Mix Dried Fruit and Rum, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place Self-Rising Flour, Sugar, Salt and Cinnamon in a large bowl and mix well. Add Dried Fruit and combine.
- Make a well in the centre and add the lightly beaten Eggs and Vanilla, mix and knead with your hand until the mixture just forms a ball. *Note: Do not over-knead as the mixture will get too soft and sticky.
- Divide the mixture in half, form each one into a log and place on prepared baking tray. Shape the logs to about 20cm in length and flatten slightly so they are about 2 to 3cm thick. Wetting your fingers with water may help this process.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. When the logs are cool enough to handle safely, slice diagonally into 1cm thick biscuits using a bread knife or serrated knife.
- Arrange the sliced biscuits back onto the baking tray. Reduce the heat to 140°C, and bake for 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Leave a Reply