I had a lot of leftover Dried Fruit in my pantry. I decided to make a Fruit Cake and looked for recipes. I found many recipes on the internet, but most recipes are for a very large cake. So, I used my Basic Pound Cake recipe, replaced Caster Sugar with Brown Sugar, and added Dried Fruit and Spices that I had. I am quite happy with the result. This cake would be perfect as a Christmas Cake.
Standard Load Tin OR 18cm Round Cake Tin
*I used 21cm x 11cm Loaf Tin
2 cups Mixed Dried Fruit
*Note: I used Raisins, Sultanas, Black Currants, Mixed Peel and Glace Cherries.
4 tablespoons Brandy OR Rum
1/2 cup Walnuts *chopped
125g Butter *softened
1/2 cup Brown Sugar *about 80g (I think 125g is too much)
1/8 teaspoon Salt
3 Eggs *about 125g, must be at room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 teaspoons Mixed Spice *OR mix of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Clove, etc.
125g (OR 1 cup) Self-Raising Flour
- Place Dried Fruit in a heat-proof bowl, add Brandy (OR Rum), mix to stir, and set aside for a few hours. *Note: Heat in the microwave for 1 minute to warm up, so that Dried Fruit soak up Brady (OR Rum) quickly and will be ready in 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking paper. (18cm round cake tin can be used.)
- Beat softened Butter, Brown Sugar and Salt in a mixing bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer until creamy. Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- *Note: If the Eggs are not warm enough, the mixture will curdle. If that happens, try to stand the bowl in warm water, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds, then continue beating until the batter becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add Vanilla and Spices, mix well, then fold in Self-Raising Flour with a spatula or large metal spoon until just combined. Add soaked Dried Fruit and Walnuts, and mix to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until cooked through. Cover with a sheet of foil when it gets too dark. Stand the cake in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Leave a Reply