It was my daughter who introduced me Hot & Sour Soup. She uses a variety of ingredients and it takes time to prepare Hot & Sour Soup properly. This is my super quick and easy recipe that I use when I crave it. Today I thickened the soup thicker than normal, and pour it over hot Udon Noodles. You can pour it over Rice. It can be a very comforting and filling meal.
1 Cooked Udon *You may prefer Cooked Rice
50g thinly sliced Pork OR Chicken *cut into bite-size pieces
1 Egg *lightly whisked
Finely chopped Spring Onion
1 cup Chicken Stock *OR 1 cup Water and 1 teaspoons Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder
1/2 teaspoon grated Ginger
1 teaspoon Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) *OR Chilli as required
1/2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1/2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1/2 tablespoon Mirin
1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
Salt & White Pepper
1 tablespoon Potato Starch OR Corn Starch *mixed with 1 tablespoon Water
- Prepare all ingredients before you start cooking.
- Place all the Soup ingredients except for Potato Starch in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then add Pork (OR Chicken).
- When Pork is cooked, add Potato Starch mixture gradually to thicken the soup. You don’t need to add all of it.
- When the soup is thickened, add Egg, and gently stir. When Egg is softly cooked, soup is done.
- Heat Cooked Udon Noodles in boiling water, then drain. Place in a serving bowl, pour the soup over, add some Spring Onion, and enjoy. *Note: This soup can be enjoyed without Udon.