Mochi, sometimes called Rice Cake, is made by pounding steamed Glutinous Rice. I have an electric Mochi maker, but I don’t use it often. Because I have to soak Glutinous Rice overnight before steaming and the process is time consuming. This is my quick & easy way to make Mochi. Using Glutinous Rice Flour that is available from many supermarkets, it is VERY easy.
8 x 4cm Mochi
110g Glutinous Rice Flour
1/2 cup (125ml) Warm Water *You might need extra 3-4 tablespoons Water
Potato Starch Flour
- Mix Glutinous Rice Flour and Warn Water in a heat-proof bowl until smooth. Depending on the dryness of the Flour, you might need to add extra 3-4 tablespoons Warm Water. Make it look like thick cream.
- Cover the bowl with a plate, heat in the microwave for 1 minute, stir well with a wet spatular (silicone spatula recommended), and heat 1 more minute OR until the mixture is cooked through. When the colour becomes translucent (not white), it is cooked. *Note: Cooking time depends on your microwave. I cooked at 1100W power.
- *Important: As the mixture is very sticky, wet the spatular with warm water frequently and sprinkle some warm water over the mixture as you stir.
- Spread Potato Starch Flour on a plate, using a wet spatular, take the thick and sticky ‘Mochi’ mixture onto the plate. Sprinkle extra Potato Starch Flour over the ‘Mochi’ as well. Set aside, because it is still too hot to handle.
- When Mochi is slightly cooled, divide into small pieces, and remove excess Starch.
Leave a Reply