‘Potato Mochi’ has become well-known thanks to Pokemon. These days there are very many variations, and you can season it as you like. Pan-frying is the most popular method, but I deep-fried it today. It’s better to form the mixture into balls when you deep-fry. You can stuff a small piece of Cheese inside each ball. Enjoy with your favourite sauce. I enjoyed Fried Potato Mochi with Salt & Aonori (Dried Green Laver Flakes), which combination is a popular flavour for Potato Crisps in Japan.
1 to 2 Servings *12 Balls
1 large Potato *250 to 300g
Salt for cooking Potato
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoons Potato Starch OR Corn Starch *1 tablespoon is 15ml
Oil for frying
Salt & Aonori (Dried Green Laver Flakes) *optional
- Peel Potato, cut into smaller pieces, and place in a saucepan. Cover with Water, add some Salt, and cook until absolutely soft.
- Drain and mash until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon Salt and Potato Starch, and mix well.
- Form the mixture into balls. Today I made 12 balls. It is a good idea to stuff a small piece of Cheese of your choice in each ball. Make sure the Cheese is completely covered by the Potato mixture.
- Deep-fry in hot oil, about 180℃, until nicely browned. Enjoy with your favourite sauce. Today I enjoyed with Salt & Aonori (Dried Green Laver Flakes).
Leave a Reply