Using the same ingredients to make Macaron (French Macaroon), this soft cake is absolutely easy to make and you won’t fail. This is another good recipe to use up the leftover Egg Whites. I often end up having 4 leftover Egg Whites, so this recipe is for 4 Egg Whites. However, you can easily alter the amount of other ingredients if you use 5 Egg Whites or 3 Egg Whites. You won’t fail.
12 Cakes (6 Pairs)
4 Egg Whites
1/3 cup Caster Sugar
1/4 cup Self-Raising Flour
1 cup (100g) Almond Meal
Coffee Butter Cream
30g Unsalted Butter *softened
1 pinch Salt
1 teaspoon Instant Coffee *mixed with 1 teaspoon Hot Water
1 teaspoon Rum *OR Bourbon, Brandy, etc.
1/2 cup Icing Sugar
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Milk *only if required
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. *Note: Today I used a non-stick Macaron pan.
- Combine Self-Raising Flour and Almond Meal in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat Egg Whites, using an electric mixer, until soft peaks form. Gradually add Caster Sugar, beating well, until thick and glossy and Sugar is well dissolved. Gradually fold in Flour mixture and gently combine.
- Place heaped tablespoonfuls of mixture on the baking paper and form discs 5-6cm in diameter and 8mm thick. Using a piping bag is another method. *Note: This mixture won’t expand. You only need minimum space between each.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make Coffee Butter Cream, mix all ingredients except Milk. If the cream is too thick, add a small amount of Milk. Mix well until smooth.
- Sandwich the cream with 2 cakes.