Everyone loves to eat it, but backs away from cooking it. I know why. Because it takes a LONG time to caramelise the onion and you cannot leave it cook itself. You have to stay there, stirring the onion, for up to 1 hour. No way I can do that… I don’t have that patience… but I want to cook this soup. Then my challenge began.
To cook any food quickly, I think the microwave is a good option. So I microwaved the Onion and Butter. The Onion gets soft quickly, but it didn’t get brown. I cooked the Onion longer, it did get even softer but it didn’t get brown. The best way I discovered is to microwave for 5 minutes or so to soften the Onion, then cook in the saucepan or pot. The microwave process greatly reduces the caramelising time.
Brown Onions 4 *thinly sliced
Butter 30g *OR Olive Oil 2 tablespoons
Chicken/Beef/Vegetable Stock 4 cups
White Wine 1/2 cup *optional
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Baguette (French Stick) 8 slices
Tasty Cheese OR Parmesan Cheese 1/4 cup each serving *grated
- Place Onion and Butter in a large heat-proof bowl and cover with a large plate. Heat for 3 minutes, mix, and heat 2 more minutes. Mix and heat extra 2 more minutes.
- Carefully transfer the onion to a large sauce pan or a pot, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, turn down the heat if needed, until caramelised and browned.
- Add Stock and Wine (*optional), and bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes. Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Preheat the over to 200C or the grill on medium-high. Divide the soup to oven-safe serving bowls and place 2 slices of bread in each bowl. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the bread.
- Place the bowls on the baking tray, cook in the oven or under the grill until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Remove carefully from the oven or the grill, and let cool for a few minutes otherwise you will burn your tongue. Serve on heatproof small plate.
Leave a Reply