I know Hash Browns are an unhealthy food, but they are yummy. Today I deep-fried the mixture into bite-size balls. So, these ‘Hash Brown Bites’ are absolutely unhealthy, and it is very hard to stop eating them. I can confidently say they are dangerous!!! Maybe you can try to make them for your party. I am confident they will disappear very quickly.
20 x 3cm Balls
2 medium size Potatoes *400g
1/2 Onion *finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper OR Ground Chilli *alter the amount
1/2 cup Plain Flour OR Self-Raising Flour *plus extra
Oil for frying
- Peel Potato if you prefer, and coarsely grate them. Rinse to remove starch if you want to do so, then squeeze to remove excess water as much as you can.
- Place in a mixing bowl, add Onion, Egg, Salt and Pepper (OR Chilli), and mix to combine. Add Flour and mix well. If the mixture is too wet, add extra Flour, but the mixture should be soft.
- Heat Oil in a frying pot to 170°C to 180°C. Drop some bite-size balls of mixture into the Oil and fry, turning occasionally, until nicely browned all over, then drain on paper towels.
- *Note: The mixture can be very soft and sticky. If too soft to roll into balls, do not add too much extra Flour. Use 2 large spoons to form the mixture into balls, and drop into the Oil.
- Enjoy as they are OR with your favourite sauce. Today I sprinkled with some fine Salt and enjoyed without sauce.
Leave a Reply