I love ‘Takikomigohan’ which is seasoned rice cooked with vegetables, mushrooms, seafood or chicken. Probably it is my absolute favourite Japanese food. You can find quite a few recipes on this site and I cook them often, and I think this is the easiest ‘Takikomigohan’ recipe. You need 3 main ingredients, and they are Rice, Chicken and Ginger. Super easy and delicious!
250 to 300g Chicken *thigh fillets recommended, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons finely sliced Ginger *sliced into fine strips
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce and extra after rice is cooked
1 tablespoon Mirin
1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
2 cups (*180ml cup) Short Grain Rice
1/4 teaspoon Salt
Asian Mushrooms *optional
*Note: This time I added some Shimeji
Toasted Nori, Spring Onion and/or extra Ginger for topping
- Cut Chicken into small pieces, add Soy Sauce, Mirin, fine strips of Ginger and Sesame Oil, and massage. Set aside for 5-10 minutes. *Note: Chicken Mince can be used.
- Wash Rice a few times and place it in the rice cooker. Add water up to the 2-cups-marking. Sprinkle Salt over and gently stir.
- Add Asian Mushrooms if you use any, and Chicken pieces with all liquid, but DO NOT stir. Just spread evenly. Press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking.
- When rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes. Then sprinkle 1/2 to 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce, and loosen and mix gently.
- Place some Toasted Nori, Spring Onion and/or extra Ginger on top and enjoy.