On a wet and cold day, everyone would appreciate hot soup. Today I wanted an Asian flavoured egg soup. The very ordinary chicken stock can instantly turn into Asian when fresh Ginger and Spring Onion are added. I used Enoki and Black Fungus, but naturally you can use any vegetables.
4 cups Chicken Stock (*OR 4 cups Water and 1-2 teaspoons Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder)
1 small piece Ginger *grated
8 Dry Black Fungus
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
Salt & White Pepper
1 tablespoon Potato Starch Flour *mixed with 2 tablespoons Water
2 to 3 Eggs *lightly whisked
1 Spring Onions *finely chopped
- Soak Dry Black Fungus in cold/warm water until soft. Wash well and drain, then slice thinly.
- Cut off the brown bottom of Enoki Mushrooms and clean them. Cut into 2 to 3cm in length.
- Heat Chicken Stock in a saucepan over high heat. Add Ginger, Black Fungus and Enoki, and cook for a few minutes. Season with Soy Sauce, Salt and White Pepper.
- Mix Potato Starch and Water in a small bowl, add to the hot soup and stir to thicken the soup.
- Add the lightly whisked Egg slowly in a circular motion into the boiling soup, gently stirring. Add finely chopped Spring Onion as well. When the egg is cooked, remove from heat.