I use 125g of each ingredients instead of 1 pound (454g) each to make my ‘Basic Pound Cake’. I added 125g melted Dark Chocolate to it to make this chocolate cake, but the recipe has been altered slightly. Now I am happy to share this recipe. Icing is optional but it makes the cake look great and yummy.
Standard Loaf Tin
1/3 cup Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup Almond Meal
*Note: Flour & Almond Meal weigh 125g in total
1 tablespoon Cocoa Powder *optional, depending on Dark Chocolate’s cocoa content
125g Butter *cut into small pieces, softened at room temperature
125g (2 x 1/4 cup) Caster Sugar
125g Dark Chocolate *melted
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3 Egg Yolks
3 Egg Whites *Note: Eggs should be at room temperature
1/2 cup Icing Sugar
2 teaspoons Milk
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Combine Self-Raising Flour, Almond Meal and Cocoa Powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add 1/4 cup Sugar and beat until creamy. Add Egg Yolks and mix well. Add melted Chocolate and mix well.
- Beat Egg Whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup Caster Sugar and beat until combined well and glossy.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and mix well. Then gently fold in the Egg Whites mixture. DO NOT over-mix it.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Stand the cake in the tin for 5 minutes as it is quite soft, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, combine Icing Sugar and Milk in a bowl and mix well until smooth. If you need to make it softer, add extra Milk, but only a small mount at a time. Spread the icing over the cooled Chocolate Cake.