One of my favourite ‘Goma-ae’ dishes is ‘Goma-ae’ Shungiku (Edible Chrysanthemum). It is delicious as it is, but I added grilled Shiitake today. I used my mini toaster oven to grill Shiitake. I oiled the tray with Sesame Oil and placed Shiitake on it, and toasted for 5-6 minutes. I wished if I could char-grill them. You can simply cook Shiitake in a frying pan.
100g Shiitake Mushrooms *select thick & meaty ones
250 to 300g Shungiku (Edible Chrysanthemum)
2 tablespoons Toasted Sesame Seeds *ground
1 tablespoon Sugar
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- Grind Toasted Sesame Seeds, OR use this trick ‘How To Grind Sesame Seeds Using A Plastic Bag’. Add Sugar and Soy Sauce, and mix well to make sauce.
- Wash Edible Chrysanthemum and blanch in boiling water. Dip in cold water to stop cooking further, drain well and squeeze to remove excess water. *Note: Thick stems need to be cooked longer. Leaves can be easily over cooked.
- Cut into 5cm length. Squeeze Leaves once gain to remove excess water. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Clean Shiitake and trim stems. Lightly oil a frying pan with Sesame Oil and cook both side. *Note: If you have a mini toaster oven, you can grill Shiitake. Today I toasted them for 5-6 minutes.
- Thickly slice Shiitake and add to the mixing bowl. Add ‘Goma-ae’ Sauce and mix to combine.