My ‘Grilled Salmon & Watercress Mazegohan‘, one of my popular ‘Mazegohan’ dishes, can be made with Shiso leaves instead of Watercress. It is so aromatic and delicious. This is a crunchy and chewy Mixed Grains version of the dish. I added Edamame for extra crunchiness. Enjoy it with a refreshing salad of your choice.
2 servings Cooked Mixed Grains *OR Rice of your choice
*See ‘How to cook Mixed Grains’ below.
1/2 cup Edamame *removed from the pod
2 Salmon Fillets *200 to 300g
1 tablespoon Canola OR Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
4 Shiso Leaves *finely sliced
How to cook Mixed Grains
- Wash 1 cup (*180ml) Uncooked Mixed Grains and drain. Place the Grains in a large saucepan or rice cooker’s inner pot, add 1 & 1/2 cups Water, 1/2 tablespoon Olive Oil and 1/4 teaspoon Salt. *Note: The amount of Water depends on the types of the grains.
- Cook over low heat until water is gone OR according to your rice cooker instruction.
- Mix thawed Edamame with freshly cooked Mixed Grains OR Rice of your choice.
- Sprinkle a generous amount Salt over the Salmon Fillets, skin side as well.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Cook Salmon on skin side for 3 minutes or until crispy, and turn over to cook each side until just cooked through. *Note: Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the fillets.
- Spread Mixed Grains & Edamame over a plate, place flaked salmon chunks and crispy skin. Sprinkle with Freshly Ground Black Pepper and finely sliced Shiso. Serve with a refreshing salad of your choice.