Are you planning a family Halloween cooking? Here is one suggestion. It’s ‘Halloween Gnocchi’. Gnocchi dough is very similar to Play Dough, and children are geniuses with Play Dough. They can create all sorts of scary characters. The dough was a little sticky and I needed plenty of Flour for dusting. I ended up making a huge mess on the kitchen bench. So, if your young children are involved, prepare yourself for a big cleaning.
*Note: Use your own OR your favourite Gnocchi Recipe. This is my ‘Super Easy Potato Gnocchi’ recipe.
2 to 3 (about 500g) Potatoes *peeled, cut into small pieces
Salt & White Pepper
1 cup Plain Flour *plus extra as required
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese *firmly packed
1 Egg *lightly whisked
Plain Flour for dusting
Sauce of your choice to serve
- To cook Potato, I recommend to use steamer or microwave. If you boil in water, you would need more Flour.
- Simply steam Potato until tender. If you use microwave, place Potato pieces in a large heat-proof bowl and cover with a plate, cook for 3 minutes, toss over and cook 2 more minutes. Then toss again carefully because it is very hot, cook 2 more minutes. Cook until tender.
- Mash cooked Potato and season lightly with Salt and White Pepper.
- Transfer to another cold bowl if you have one. Add Plain Flour and Parmesan, and combine until crumble texture. Add Egg and mix to form a firm dough, adding extra Flour as required.
- Roll a small portion, but larger than normal Gnocchi size, into a ball, and decorate it into a Halloween character such as Zombie, Ghost, Jack-o-lantern, etc. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Cook Gnocchi in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, but DO NOT overcrowd as they can stick together. Cook until they rise to the surface. Enjoy with your favourite sauce.
Leave a Reply