I know Hash Browns are not very good for my health, but I love them. This is my attempt to make the ‘not-healthy’ food into ‘less-unhealthy’ food. I added Chickpeas to Hash Browns. To make them crispy, you need a reasonable amount oil to cook, but you can cook them like pancakes, if you don’t mind the texture.
8 x 10cm Cakes
1 cupful cooked Chickpeas *mashed
*Note: If you cook Dry Chickpeas for this, soak 1/2 cup Dry Chickpeas in water overnight, then cook in slightly salted water for 20 minutes or until soft.
2 medium Potatoes *peeled and shredded OR coarsely grated
1/2 Onion *finely chopped
1/4 cup Plain Flour
Salt & Pepper
Oil for frying
- Place cooked Chickpeas in a mixing bowl, and coarsely mash them.
- Rinse shredded Potatoes and squeeze to remove excess water, then add to the mixing bowl. Add Onion, Egg and Flour, lightly season with Salt & Pepper, and mix to combine evenly.
- *Note: You may wish to add chopped Parsley, or other herbs and spices.
- Heat a generous amount Oil in a frying pan, thick-base pan preferred, over medium low heat. Form patties about 1cm thick and cook for 4-5 minutes or until nicely browned and crispy. Flip over and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the other side is also nicely browned and crispy.
- Transfer onto paper towel. Season with Salt and Pepper, and enjoy immediately, or while they are still warm.