Shortbread is my absolute favourite cookies. I sometimes add extra ingredients to make different flavoured Shortbread Cookies. My ‘Matcha & Pistachio Butter Biscuits’ is based on my ‘Shortbread’ recipe. Today I added Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice. These cookies taste as good as ‘My Melting Moments’.
24 x 4.5cm Round Cookies
125g Butter *softened
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
Zest of 1 Lemon
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 cup Plain Flour
1/4 cup Rice Flour OR Custard Powder *OR Corn Starch
1/4 cup Icing Sugar
1 & 1/2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix softened Butter and Sugar until smooth and well combined. Add Lemon Zest, Lemon Juice, Plain Flour and Rice Flour and mix well. Use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface until 8mm thick and cut out shapes, OR slice well-refrigerated stiff dough. *Note: Today I used a round cutter 4.5cm in diameter and made 24 cookies.
- *Note: If the dough is too soft to work with, allow it to cool in the fridge until firm enough.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside on the tray for 10 minutes to cool before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- These cookies taste lovely without Lemon Icing. To make Lemon Icing, mix Icing Sugar and Lemon Juice until smooth. Place it in a piping bag or tough plastic bag, and pipe it out on the cooled cookies.