My ‘Basic Butter Cake’ is a very easy cake. What you need to do is just mixing ingredients very well. Today I replaced Buttermilk with Sour Cream, and I added Lemon Juice and Zest. The cake cracked a little and I was disappointed. Maybe it is because I totally forgot about the temperature of the ingredients. Well… it doesn’t really matter if the cake cracked. I covered it up with Icing Sugar.
18cm Springform Cake Tin
125g Butter *softened
3/4 cup Caster Sugar *OR 1 cup for sweeter cake
2 large Eggs *room temperature
1/2 cup Sour Cream
Zest of 1 Lemon
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 & 1/3 cups Self-Raising Flour
Icing Sugar for dusting *optional
Thickened Cream OR Sour Cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line the base and sides of a 18cm springform cake tin with baking paper. *Note: To help the cake to raise evenly, you can butter the baking paper on the sides.
- Beat the softened Butter and Caster Sugar in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add Sour Cream, Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice, and mix well.
- Sift in Self-Raising Flour and use a spatula to combine. Spoon the mixture into the tin, spread evenly, and smooth the surface. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes OR until cooked through. *Note: If you add 1 cup Sugar, the cake might turn too dark. Cover with a sheet of Foil.
- Gently transfer the cake onto a wire rack and cool. Dust with Icing Sugar before serve.
- Enjoy with Cream OR Sour Cream. Today I served with Thickened Cream, that I whipped with some Caster Sugar.
Leave a Reply