This ‘Hot & Sour Soup’ is low in calories, though it is packed with good nutrients. With Noodles, it can be a very filling & healthy meal. If you are trying to lose weight, I recommend Konjac Noodles. They are called ‘Shirataki’ OR ‘Itokonnyaku’ in Japanese, but they are widely available these days as Konjac Noodles or Low-Calorie Noodles. They are made from a type of potato called ‘Konnyaku (Konjac)’ and extremely low in calories, have no nutrients, but a good source of dietary fibre.
4 cups Chicken Stock
2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine)
1 small piece Ginger *grated
1 to 2 cupfuls Vegetables
*Suggestion: Carrot, Black Fungus Mushrooms, Shimeji, Shiitake, Bamboo Shoot, Bok Choy, etc.
Salt & Pepper
200 to 300g Tofu *Medium or Soft type recommended, cut into small pieces
2 to 3 tablespoons Potato Starch *mixed with 3 to 4 tablespoons Water
2 Eggs *lightly whisked
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1 to 2 teaspoons Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) *OR Chilli Garlic Sauce
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
2 to 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 to 3 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
2 bags (2 x 200g) Itokonnyaku OR Shirataki (Konjac Noodles) *rinsed & drained
1 bag Bean Sprouts *washed
Other Noodles of your choice
- Prepare Vegetables. Wash well, especially softened Black Fungus, and cut all into thin slices or strips as it would be easy to eat with noodles.
- Heat Chicken Stock and Sake (Rice Wine) in a pot, add Ginger and Vegetables, and cook until soft. Add seasonings, and Salt (only if required) & Pepper to taste.
- Add Tofu, bring back to the boil, then add Potato Starch mixture, stirring gently, until desired thickness is achieved. You don’t need to add it all.
- Add lightly whisked Eggs slowly in a circular motion into the boiling soup, gently stirring. When the egg is cooked, remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook Noodles. Itokonnyaku OR Shirataki (Konjac Noodles) and Bean Sprouts can be cooked together in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes, then drained. If you use other noodles, cook them accordingly.
- Place hot Noodles (and Bean Sprout) in a serving bowl, cover with the Hot & Sour Soup, add some chopped Spring Onion on top, and enjoy.
Leave a Reply