Lviv is a beautiful cultural city in western Ukraine, near the border with Poland. It is known as a centre of art, literature, music and theatre. I learned Lviv Cheesecake often contains Dried Fruit such as Raisins and is coated with Chocolate. I couldn’t resist making it. Cheese called ‘Farmers Cheese’ seems to be often used. The easiest substitute for me is Cottage Cheese. I have tried a few times with different ratio of ingredients. The Cheesecake always turned wetter than the Cheesecake I make with Cream Cheese. And again, I reduced the amount of Sugar as I found all recipes use too much Sugar. I wish to eat the authentic Lviv Cheesecake one day, in Lviv in Ukraine. This is my ‘Lviv Style Cheesecake’ made with Cottage Cheese. You may wish to use your own Cheesecake recipe, add some Raisins and coat it with this Chocolate Coating.
Standard Loaf Tin
500g Full-Fat Cottage Cheese *drained to remove excess water
1 pinch Salt *optional, if Cottage Cheese is not salted
1/3 cup Caster Sugar *OR 1/2 cup for sweeter flavour
30g Butter *melted
1 teaspoon finely grated Lemon Zest
1-2 teaspoons Lemon Juice *DO NOT add too much
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Plain Flour
1/4 cupful Raisins
1 tablespoon (15g) Butter
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
3 tablespoons Sour Cream
2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- Preheat the oven to 150℃. Line the base and sides of a Loaf Tin with baking paper.
- Place all the Cheesecake ingredients, except Eggs, Flour and Raisins, in a bowl. Use a stick blender to process until the mixture is smooth. *Note: You might prefer using a food processor.
- Add Eggs and Flour, and process for a few minutes. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, scatter Raisins and push them into batter shallowly, and bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool. *Note: You may prefer steam-baking method that is often used to cook Cheesecake.
- Meanwhile, make Chocolate Coating. Place Butter and Sugar in a small saucepan, heat over low heat and stir until Sugar is completely resolved. Add Sour Cream and Cocoa Powder, and mix well until smooth and well combined.
- Turn the cooled Cheesecake out onto a serving plate, remove baking paper, pour the Chocolate Coating on top and spread nicely. Then chill in the fridge.