‘Mapo Tofu’, a popular Chinese dish has been adapted to Japanese tastes and it is called ‘Mābō Dōfu’ in Japan. My family’s Japanese style recipe is quite different from the authentic recipes, but it is very easy to prepare and tasty. ‘Mābō Dōfu’ is commonly made with Pork Mince. If you don’t eat Pork, why don’t you use Chicken? You DO NOT need to use minced Chicken. Today I used Breast Fillets.
500g Tofu *medium soft type such as ‘Momen’ Tofu
400 to 500g Chicken Breast Fillets
1 pinch Salt
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped OR grated
1 small piece Ginger *finely chopped OR grated
4 Thick Spring Onions *finely chopped
1 tablespoon Oil
1 tablespoon Dark Colour Miso *e.g. ‘Red’ Miso
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Toban Djan (Chili Bean Sauce)
2 tablespoons Sake
1 cup Chicken Stock *OR 1 cup Water & 1 teaspoon Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder)
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 tablespoon Potato Starch
- Prepare Vegetables. Basically you need to finely chop up everything. Cut Tofu into bite-size cubes. Cut Chicken into thin bite-size pieces.
- Place all the Sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. This has to be done before you start cooking. Cooking process doesn’t take long at all.
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan or a wok, cook Chicken until colour changes, and lightly season with 1 pinch Salt. Then add Vegetables and stir.
- Before you add the Sauce into the pan, mix it well again. Then pour in the Sauce, bring it to the boil, and let it thicken.
- Add Tofu and gently mix to combine. Enjoy with freshly cooked Rice.