‘Mabo Dofu’ has been adapted to Japanese tastes and it is quite popular. As you know it is originally a Chinese dish but this one could be very different from the authentic ‘Mapo Doufu’. It’s my family’s Japanese style recipe. Many people buy ready-made sauce, but you can cook this dish quite easily.
Tofu 500g *Momen Tofu is preferred
Pork Mince 250 to 300g
Garlic 1 clove *finely chopped
Ginger 1 small piece *finely chopped
Thick Spring Onions 4 *finely chopped
Oil 1 tablespoon
Dark Colour Miso 1 tablespoon
Soy Sauce 1 tablespoon
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Toban Djan (Chili Bean Sauce) 2 to 3 teaspoons
Sake 2 tablespoons
Chicken Stock 1 cup (or Water 1 cup & Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder 1 teaspoon)
Sesame Oil 1 tablespoon
Potato Starch 1 tablespoon
- Prepare vegetables. Basically you need to finely chop up everything. Save green part of Spring Onion for the topping when you serve. Cut Tofu into bite-size cubes.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. This has to be done before you start cooking. Cooking process doesn’t take long at all.
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan or a wok, cook Pork Mince and vegetables breaking up the mince.
- Before you add the sauce mixture into the pan, mix it well again. Then pour in the sauce mixture and bring it to boil and let it thicken.
- Add Tofu and gently mix and combine.
- Sprinkle the chopped green part of Spring Onion on top and serve.