My Basic Pound Cake recipe is easy to remember. You would need 125g of each Butter, Sugar, Eggs and Self-Raising Flour (OR Plain Flour & Baking Powder). By adding extra ingredients to it, you can make a variety of Pound Cakes. Today I added Matcha Powder and Rum. White Chocolate Chips OR Walnuts can be added.
Standard Loaf Tin
125g Butter *cut into small pieces, softened at room temperature
125g (OR 1/2 cup) Caster Sugar
3 Eggs *about 125g, must be at room temperature
1 tablespoon Rum *OR 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
125g Self-Raising Flour
1 to 2 tablespoons Matcha Powder *Today I added 1 & 1/2 tablespoons
*Note: 1/2 cup White Chocolate Chips OR Walnuts can be added
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Beat the softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If the Eggs are not warm enough, the mixture will curdle. If that happens, try to stand the bowl in warm water, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds, then continue beating until the batter becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add Rum (OR Vanilla) and mix well. Sift in Flour and Matcha Powder, and gently mix with a spatula or large metal spoon until just combined. DO NOT over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the surface. *Note: Spread the middle part thinner and the edges thicker, so that you will have a nice centre crack.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until cooked through. Stand the cake in the tin for 5 minutes as it is very soft, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.