I keep a bag of frozen Squid Rings in my freezer, simply because I like Squid. Using them, this rice bowl dish can be prepared very quickly. I try to add a lot of vegetables. It’s a very satisfying and nutritious meal.
100g Squid Rings
1/4 Onion *thinly sliced
1 to 2 Cabbage Leaves *cut into strips
4cm Carrot *cut into strips
*Other Suggestions: Bok Choy, Wom Bok, Shiitake, Shimeji, Black Fungus Mushrooms, Spinach, etc.
1 tablespoon Oil
1 serving Freshly Cooked Rice
1/2 Spring Onion *finely chopped
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix)
1 teaspoon grated Ginger
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Miso
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine)
1 tablespoon Mirin
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Sugar *optional
- Combine Ginger, Miso, Sake (Rice Wine) and Mirin in a bowl. *Note: You may wish to add Sugar for extra sweetness.
- Add Squid Rings and stir to combine, and set aside.
- While marinating Squid Rings, prepare vegetables.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium high heat, and cook vegetables. When the vegetables are cooked, add the Squid Rings with marinade all at once, and cook until the Squid Rings are cooked and the sauce is thickened.
- Half fill a bowl with Freshly Cooked Rice and cover it with the squid & vegetables mixture. Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion and Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix), and enjoy.
Leave a Reply