I must credit my friend Shelley for this recipe. The other day, she cooked 4 different Pizzas for my husband and me, and one of them was Mushroom and Black Olive Pizza, that inspired me to make this Flammkuchen. ‘Do not spread fresh Mushrooms over the Pizza base as a fair bit of water comes out from the Mushrooms and it make the base soggy. Cook Mushrooms first and intensify the flavour, then spread them over the base’, Shelley said. I cooked Mushrooms with Garlic. This Flammkuchen smelled and tasted amazing. Dill is essential! Find more Flammkuchen recipes.
2 to 4 Servings
1 heaped cup Plain Flour OR Bread Flour *about 1 & 1/4 cups
1 teaspoon Baking Powder *optional
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Warm Water
1 tablespoon Oil *I used Sunflower Oil
200g Mushrooms *sliced
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1-2 tablespoons Oil *I used Sunflower Oil
Salt & Black Pepper
100g Sour Cream *OR Creme Fraiche
1 pinch Salt
1/4 cup sliced Black Olives
Parsley and Dill
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons Oil in a frying pan over high heat, cook sliced Mushrooms, add Garlic, and season with Salt & Black Pepper. Set aside.
- Combine Flour and Salt in a bowl. Add Warm Water and Oil. Mix until a dough comes together. Knead, adding more Flour if required, until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions if you prefer. Roll out or flatten the dough into a thin oblong or round, and place on a baking tray(s), lined with baking paper if necessary.
- Mix Sour Cream (OR Creme Fraiche) and Salt, spread over the base, arrange cooked Mushrooms and sliced Black Olives evenly.
- Bake in a hot oven over 200℃ until nicely browned and edges are crispy. Today I baked it at 230℃ for 10 minutes. *Note: Make sure the baking surface is hot to achieve crispy bottom.
- Scatter some chopped Parsley and Dill, and sprinkle with extra Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper as required. *Note: I forgot extra Salt & Black Pepper for the photo.