There are so many different Banana Cake recipes. I had tried four or five different recipes until I tried a Japanese one. I normally don’t like Japanese cake recipes because they always require weighing ingredients. I like measuring by cups.
Anyway I tried the recipe with very well ripe bananas which were nearly black. The result was amazing. Then I altered the recipe so that I don’t have to weigh.
Many friends of mine said it was the best Banana Cake. But you can’t get the same result if the bananas are not ripe enough. You can bake this cake only when you have the almost black bananas that smell nearly fermenting.
So, purchase the bananas prior to the day you bake the cake and let them ripe very very well, OR alternatively you go to a green grocer and check the discount product shelf. I often find quite ripe bananas there.
18 to 20cm Cake Tin
Salted Ordinary Butter 100g *softened
Caster Sugar 1/2 cup
Large Eggs 3
Self-Raising Flour 1 & 1/3 cups
Very-Well-Ripe Large Bananas 2 *mashed
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line the base and sides of a cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat Butter and Sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add Eggs, 1 at a time. Add mashed Banana and combine well, then stir in Flour and combine. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve hot with cream, or this cake is also nice when cold. ‘My Fluffy Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting’ goes well with this cake.
My Fluffy Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Soften 125g Cream Cheese, add 2 tablespoons Caster Sugar and 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice and mix well. Add some grated Lemon Rind for extra flavour if you have.
- Whip 1/2 cup Cream, then mix with the cream cheese mixture.