My mother used just Plain Flour to make ‘My Mother’s Stick Doughnuts’ as those stick doughnuts should have firm cookie-like texture. She occasionally added some Baking Powder and made these round ones. She used only basic ingredients that were commonly available, and these doughnuts still taste great.
1 cup Self-Raising Flour *OR Plain Flour & 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/3 cup Caster Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 large Egg
1 tablespoon Milk
Oil for frying
- Mix all ingredients to make dough. If it is too dry to form into a dough, you can add a little bit of extra Milk.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out about 8mm thick. Use a 7cm round cutter to cut out discs. Use a 3cm round cutter to cut out centres.
- Heat Oil about depth of 5cm in a large saucepan over medium heat. Oil should be around 170℃. Carefully place 3 to 4 rounds into the Oil. Cook, turning occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. *Note: Cut out centres can be cooked quicker.
- Transfer the doughnuts to a tray lined with paper towel.
- *Note: My mother never added any extra Sugar, Cinnamon, Icing or Chocolate. But, you may wish to add something extra.