‘Oshi-zushi’ is a type of Sushi and it is made by pressing Sushi Rice and Toppings in a special mould called ‘Oshibako’ to create rectangle block, then it is cut into bite sized pieces to serve. But you don’t need the special mould. I use a plastic container and a small chopping board to press. A cake tin can be used. Anyone can make ‘Oshi-zushi’. It is actually easier to make than Maki-zushi (rolled sushi) or Nigiri-zushi (hand-pressed sushi).
This time, I used Smoked Salmon, Eggs and Avocado for topping and filling, but this is only a suggestion. You may wish to use other ingredients and decorate more. If you google ‘pressed sushi’, you will find loads of inspiring images. Please be creative and artistic!
Japanese Short Grain Rice 3 cups *180ml cup
Rice Vinegar 75ml
Sugar 60g *about 4 tablespoons
Salt 1 & 1/4 teaspoons
Topping & Filling
Smoke Salmon 200g
Avocado 1 *thinly sliced
- When you cook rice for sushi, cook with slightly less amount of water to achieve firmer texture. Basically you need same volume of rice and water. If you are using Rice Cooker, set the water level slightly lower than the mark.
*Note: Wash rice well before cooking.
- When rice is cooked, you need to let the rice steamed well.
- Make Sushi Vinegar by mixing the ingredients together.
- Pour the Sushi Vinegar over the HOT rice, then empty it into a large mixing bowl. Mix it well gently and thoroughly, fanning the rice with a fan or piece of cardboard to help the rice cool quickly. Cover the rice with a damp cloth to stop the rice drying out.
- Cook Eggs. Make thin omelettes or scrambled eggs.
- Line a square food container with plastic food wrap. Lay out the Smoked Salmon slices, overlapping, on the base. Spread some rice evenly to cover the salmon, then spread the cooked Egg, then arrange the Avocado slices evenly. Cover with rice.
- Place plastic food wrap on top, and press it down evenly with your hand, a large spoon or something flat. I use a small chopping board.
*Note: You need to press quite firmly, otherwise the sushi pieces will collapse into pieces when you eat them.
- Remove the top plastic wrap, and turn out the block of sushi onto a chopping board.
- Remove the plastic wrap and cut it into bite sized pieces with a sharp knife. The knife becomes very sticky, so you need to wipe it frequently with a wet cloth or wet paper towel.
Leave a Reply