This dirty looking Oven-Baked Rice is made with Chicken Giblets (Gizzards and Livers). I think Livers make the dirty colour. It is actually delicious and you know Gizzards and Livers are cheap. It is not hard to make, but you need to work fair bit to prepare Gizzards and Livers. Serve with a refreshing salad. It’s worth a try.
4 to 6 Servings
3 cups Chicken Stock *OR 3 cups Water & 1 Chicken Stock Cube
300g Chicken Gizzards *called Chicken Giblets in Australia
2 tablespoons Oil *OR Butter
1 Onion *finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic *finely chopped
1 stalk Celery *thinly sliced
1/2 to 1 Capsicum *cut into small pieces
250g Pork Mince
2 cups (*180ml cup) Long Grain White Rice *rinsed
250g Chicken Livers
1 to 2 teaspoons Oil *OR Butter
1 teaspoon Salt *alter the amount to suit your taste
1/2 teaspoon Ground Pepper
1 teaspoon Ground Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Ground Chilli
- Place Chicken Stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add Chicken Gizzards and simmer for 30 minutes, then set aside until slightly cooled. When the cooked Gizzards are cool enough to work with, chop up finely. Save all the Stock.
- Preheat the oven to 200℃. Prepare vegetables.
- Heat 2 tablespoons Oil (OR Butter) in an oven-safe shallow pot or a deep skillet over medium heat and cook Onion and Garlic for a few minutes, add Pork Mince and stir, then add Celery, Capsicum and finely chopped Chicken Gizzards.
- Add all the Seasoning ingredients, stir to combine, and add 600ml saved Chicken Stock. If you don’t have 600ml, add some Water. Bring to the boil.
- Add Rice, stir and spread evenly, bring back to the boil, and cover with the lid or cover tightly with foil.
- Place in the oven, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Prepare Chicken Livers. Remove white stringy parts and greenish parts from Livers, then chop up finely. Heat a small amount of Oil (OR Butter) in a frying pan and cook Chicken Liver until nicely browned. Lightly season with Salt and Pepper.
- When Rice is cooked, take it out from the oven, add the cooked Liver, mix to combine, cover with the lid, and set aside for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with finely chopped Parsley and serve.