There used to be a pizza shop near our house. An Italian family was running the shop and their pizzas were delicious. My favourite was ‘Vegetarian Pizza’ with anchovies as optional extra. This ‘Oven-baked Okonomiyaki’ has been inspired by that pizza. The shop is now owned by Chinese and their pizzas are sadly quite disappointing. I miss the Italian family’s pizza.
Self-Raising Flour 1 cup
Water 1 cup
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Cabbage 6 to 8 large leaves
*Add as much as you like if you can combine with the batter
Red Onion 1/8
Mushrooms 2 to 4
Green Capsicum 1/8
Anchovies 8 to 10 fillets
Bocconcini / Mozzarella Cheese
Other Topping Suggestions: Olives, Salted Capers, Chilli, Semi-dried Tomatoes
Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Make the batter by mixing the Flour, Water, Eggs and Salt.
- Add shredded cabbage to the batter and mix it well. You an add as much as you like if you can combine with the batter.
- Line a baking trays with baking paper. Spread the batter and cabbage mixture on the tray and cover with thinly sliced vegetables. Place Anchovies and Bocconcini, and other ingredients on top of the mixture just like making a pizza.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until browned and the cabbage mixture is well cooked.
- Sprinkle some freshly cracked Pepper and Salt over, and serve hot.