Thinly Sliced Pork Belly has become available from many supermarket stores in Melbourne where I live. It is actually easy to slice a block of Pork Belly by yourself if you can’t find it. Thinly sliced Meat is great for making Meat Rolls. This ‘Pork Belly Rolls on Skewers’ is quite popular in Japan. The stuffing can be any Vegetables that can be cooked fairly quickly. Today I used Lettuce, Spring Onion and thin Asparagus.
400g thinly sliced Pork Belly *wider strips would be easier to roll
Salt & Pepper
Vegetables for stuffing *Today I used Iceberg Lettuce, thin Spring Onion and thin Asparagus
*Note: Other suggestions include Enoki, Okra, Cherry Tomatoes, Cabbage, Capsicum, Edible Chrysanthemum, Carrot, etc.
1 tablespoon Sugar
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Water
1/2 teaspoon Rice Vinegar
1 teaspoon Corn Starch OR Potato Starch
- Cut Vegetables in the length slightly larger than the width of Pork Belly slices. Some Vegetables such as Carrot need to be cut into thin strips so that they can be cooked quickly.
- Lightly season Pork Belly slices with Salt & Pepper. Place some Vegetables on the end of Pork slice and TIGHTLY roll up. Lettuce can be tightly rolled up first, then place it on the Pork, and roll up.
- Thread Pork Rolls onto skewers.
- To make Sauce, combine the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring, until the sauce thickens.
- Heat a barbecue plate or a frying pan over low heat, and cook the skewers until cooked through.
- Spoon the sauce over each skewer and serve. *Note: These skewers can be enjoyed without this Sauce. Just sprinkle some extra Salt & Pepper (OR Chilli).