I was looking at many beautiful places in Ukraine on the internet, and found a place called ‘Yaremche’. I was dreaming of visiting this beautiful place and I checked some restaurants and cafes in the city as I have strong interests in those places. There is a small eatery called ‘Cafe Kolomyika’ and it’s got really good Google Reviews. I checked the photos that people took in the cafe, and one dish caught my eye. There was no description about it, but I thought it was a jumbo Ukrainian Potato Pancake covered with melting Cheese. I tried to recreate it.
1 to 2 Servings
2 medium Potatoes *about 300g
1/4 teaspoon Salt
Ground Pepper as required
3-4 tablespoons Plain Flour
Oil for cooking
2 to 3 tablespoons Sour Cream
1 handful shredded Mixed Cheese for Baking OR Pizza
Chopped Dill *I added some Parsley as well
Salt & Pepper as required
- Peel Potatoes and finely grate Potatoes and Onion. Place the grated Potatoes and Onion on a colander, and drain well. I recommend to press down and remove excess water.
- Place the drained grated Potatoes and Onion in a mixing bowl, add Egg, Salt and Pepper, and mix well. Add Flour and mix to make thick batter.
- Prepare Toppings. Today I used some slices of Tomato and Mushroom. You may wish to use other ingredients.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium low heat, cook a large Pancake. When one side is nicely browned, flip it over, spread Sour Cream on top, arrange Tomato and Mushroom, and scatter Cheese. Cover with a lid, and cook until bottom is nicely browned and Cheese is melted.
- Place on a serving plate, add some Dill. (Today I added some Parsley as well.) Add some Salt & Pepper if required and enjoy.