As my Pumpkin Doughnuts were so successful, I wanted to bake a Pumpkin Cake. I looked for the recipes. Many of them require a lot of Spices. I decided to use my own Pound Cake recipe. I didn’t add any spices, but I added Rum. I think I could have added Rum Steeped Sultanas. Maybe next time…
Standard Loaf Tin
125g Butter *cut into small pieces, softened at room temperature
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
3 Eggs *about 125g, must be at room temperature
1 tablespoon Rum
1/2 cup pureed Cooked Pumpkin
1 cup Self-Raising Flour *plus extra depending on the wateriness of the pureed Pumpkin
Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds) OR Walnuts for topping
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Beat the softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Sugar and beat until creamy. Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add Rum, pureed Pumpkin and Flour, and mix to combine. If the batter is too soft, add extra 2 to 4 tablespoons Flour. It should be fairly firm batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the surface. *Note: Spread the middle part thinner and the edges thicker, so that you will have a nice centre crack.
- Sprinkle with some Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds) and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through. Stand the cake in the tin for 5 minutes as it is very soft, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.