My first attempt to make a cake using the rice cooker was very successful but the bottom of the cake was fairly dark brown. I could have taken it out a little bit earlier. Then, I realised that the Upside-down Cakes such as my ‘Pear Upside-down Cake’ would be very suitable for this rice cooker method. I replaced Pear with Apple and cooked it in the rice cooker. Have a look at it! No other methods can be easier than this!
I used my 10 cup capacity rice cooker which inner pot is 20cm in diameter.
1 to 2 Apples *Today I used Pink Lady Apples
1 to 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar OR Caster Sugar
50g Butter *melted
1/3 cup Caster Sugar *OR 1/2 cup for sweeter cake
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup Milk
- Line the base of rice cooker’s inner pot with baking paper.
- Peel skin (*optional) and cut Apples into wedges. (I cut each Apple into 12 wedges.) Arrange them on the baking paper-lined inner pot. Sprinkle Sugar and Cinnamon over the Apple wedges.
- Make the cake mixture. Mix melted Butter and Sugar until creamy, add Eggs and Vanilla and mix well. Add Flour and Milk and mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the Apple wedges and smooth the surface. Press ‘Start’ button at ‘Cake’ setting. When the cake is cooked, carefully take the inner pot out and set aside to cool before turning onto a plate.
- *Note: Top of the cake cannot be browned, but the cake looks fine upside-down. It took 40 minutes for my rice cooker to cook.