I don’t cook this Saffron Rice very often because Saffron is expensive. When I want to serve yellow coloured Rice with Curry, I usually cook ‘Turmeric Rice’. Today I needed to use up Saffron Threads that were getting old. This is a rice cooker recipe. It’s super easy to prepare.
1/4 teaspoon Saffron Threads
1/4 cup Hot Water
2 cups (*180ml cup) Rice of your choice *I used Basmati Rice
*Note: 180ml measuring cup usually comes with the rice cooker because it is commonly used for measuring rice.
1 to 2 tablespoons Oil
1/2 Onion *finely chopped
Vegetable Stock OR Chicken Stock *OR Water and 1 Stock Cube
Salt & Pepper
Parsley *finely chopped
- Place Saffron Threads in a cup, add Hot Water, and set aside.
- Spread Oil in the rice cooker’s inner pot and scatter finely chopped Onion.
- Wash Rice by stirring it thoroughly in water and drain. Spread over the Onion.
- Add the Saffron Threads and yellow water, then add cold Water OR Stock up to the 2-cups-marking. *Note: If you use Stock Cube, break in into crumbs OR shave it.
- Season lightly with Salt & Pepper, but if the Stock is salted, you don’t need to add any Salt. Press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking.
- When rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes, and loosen and mix gently. Sprinkle with finely chopped Parsley when you serve.