This is a very simple Japanese home-cooked dish. The main ingredients are Konnyaku (Konjac) and Shiitake Mushrooms. I often add extra ingredients such as Carrot, Daikon, Lotus Root, Chikuwa (Japanese tubular shape fishcake), Chicken, etc. Today I added Carrot and Fish Balls.
1 block (250g) Konnyaku (Konjac)
25g Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
1 Carrot *optional
8 Fish Balls *optional
Other suggested additional ingredients include Daikon, Lotus Root, Chikuwa (Japanese tubular shape fishcake), OR Chicken
1 cup Dashi Stock *OR 1 cup Water and 1/2 teaspoon Dashi Powder
*Note: You can use the water that you used to soak Dried Shiitake
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Mirin
1 tablespoon Sugar *alter the amount to suit your taste
1 small piece Ginger *cut into fine strips
1 teaspoons Sesame Oil
- Clean and wash Shiitake, then soak in plenty of water for 1-2 hours or until completely soft. Drain but save the water if you use it for cooking. Wash them well again. Cut in half OR quarters if large.
- Rinse Konnyaku block, make lots of holes using a skewer, and cut into bite-size pieces. Cut Carrot into chunky bite-size piece. I cut it diagonally as I rotate it on the board.
- Place Water and Carrot pieces in a large saucepan, cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Add Konnyaku, bring back to the boil, and cook for 1-2 minutes, and drain.
- Heat the all the Sauce ingredients in the saucepan, add Shiitake first, then other ingredients, add some extra Water if needed for just enough to cover.
- Place a piece of baking paper or foil directly touching the ingredients, cover with a lid, bring to the boil over medium heat, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and baking paper (OR foil), and cook, gently mixing and tossing occasionally, until the sauce is almost gone.