I love ‘Oysters Takikomigohan’ but I don’t cooked it often, because Oysters are extremely expensive in Australia. Then, I tried to make ‘Oysters Takikomigohan’ using Canned Smoked Oysters that are not expensive. The result was interesting. I changed the favour and added Asian Mushrooms. This cheap ‘Smoked Oysters Takikomigohan’ is not bad at all!
2 cups (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
150g Shimeji *OR Shiitake
1 small piece Ginger *sliced into fine strips
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 can (85-100g) Smoked Oysters in Oil
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
Toasted Sesame Seeds
1 & 1/2 cup Water
1/2 teaspoon Dashi Powder
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine)
1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- Tear Shimeji into smaller pieces (OR slice Shiitake). Slice Ginger into fine strips. Combine Shimeji (OR Shiitake) and Ginger, add Soy Sauce, mix well, and set aside.
- Wash Rice by stirring it thoroughly in water with your hand and drain the water. Repeat this a few more times until water flows through clear. Drain the rice and place it into the rice cooker’s inner pot.
- Combine all the soup ingredients and add to the pot. Add the oil and liquid in the can of Smoked Oysters as well, but do not add the Oysters because they are not going to be cooked with the rice. Add extra Water up to the 2-cups-marking.
- Spread Shimeji (OR Shiitake) and Ginger over the rice.
- Press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking. When the rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes. Then loosen and mix with the Smoked Oysters gently. *You may wish to add extra Smoked Oysters as a 85g can might be not enough for 4 servings.
- Sprinkle with some finely chopped Spring Onion and Toasted Sesame Seeds and enjoy.
Leave a Reply