Snow Fungus, aka White Jelly Mushroom, is a popular cooking ingredient in many Asian countries. Dried Snow Fungus is available form most Asian grocery stores. I use it mainly for salad and soup. The texture of Snow Fungus is similar to Black Fungus. I love its crunchiness.
4 to 6 Servings
20g Dried Snow Fungus Mushrooms
1 large Cucumber *about 250g, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Sugar *alter the amount to suit your taste
2 to 3 teaspoons Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) *OR Chilli Flakes as required
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Soak Dried Snow Fungus in cold/warm water for 20 to 30 minutes OR until softened.
- Place thinly sliced Cucumber into a bowl. Add Salt and massage, then set aside.
- Wash softened Snow Fungus very well and drain. Quickly blanch in rapidly boiling water, drain, cool under cold water, then drain well. Remove the hard bottom bits if required, and tear into small pieces.
- Combine all the Dressing ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Squeeze the Snow Fungus to remove excess water, add to the dressing, and mix to combine. Squeeze the sliced Cucumber to remove excess salty water, add to the bowl, and mix well.