Steamed glutinous rice dishes can be cooked by rice cooker. It’s much easier and quicker, which is more suitable for our modern lifestyle. Just like other my glutinous rice dishes, this dish is also really yummy and easy to cook. If you like ‘Mochi’, you would love its rubbery texture.
4 to 6 Servings
2 cups (*180ml cup) Glutinous Rice *short grain preferred
1 cup (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
1 Squid *about 400g
1 small piece Ginger *sliced into fine strips
2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine)
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Spring Onion *finely chopped
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) *optional
450ml Dashi Stock *OR Water 450ml & Dashi Powder 1 teaspoon
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sugar *extra 1/2 tablespoon can be added for sweeter flavour
- Wash Glutinous Rice and Regular Short Grain Rice together and drain.
- Clean the Squid, slice the body into 7 to 8mm rings, and cut large tentacles in half.
- Place Squid in a bowl, add Ginger, Sake and Soy Sauce and massage, set aside for 10 minutes.
- Make soup by mixing all ingredients.
- Place well-drained Rice in the rice cooker’s inner pot, place Squid & Ginger mixture over the Rice. DO NOT MIX. Gently pour the soup over.
- Plug the rice cooker in and press the Cook/Start button. When the rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes, then toss the rice gently. Sprinkle Spring Onion and Shichimi over to serve.