This is the simplest Stewed Beef & Vegetables, I suppose. Today I had some chunky cuts of Beef for casserole, and I wanted to cook something very light. So, I simply stewed everything in Vegetable Stock and seasoned with Slat & Black Pepper. I thought the soup needed some acidity, then I added a Tomato. It is very simple, but the flavour is a complex of many different vegetables and herbs. Sometimes, such a simple stew is most enjoyable.
400g Chunky pieces of Beef for stew OR casserole
Salt & Black Pepper
1 tablespoon Oil of your choice *I used Sunflower Oil
4 cups Vegetable Stock OR Beef Stock
1 Bay Leaf
Herbs of your choice *I added some Thyme and Parsley
Vegetables of your choice *Today I added 1 Onion, 1 Carrot, 1/8 Cabbage, 2 Potatoes, 1/2 Zucchini, 1/2 Red Capsicum
*Note: A small amount of Curry Powder can be added for an extra flavour.
- Season Beef pieces with Salt & Black Pepper. Heat Oil in a pot over medium high heat, brown Beef pieces, then add Stock of your choice. Bring to the simmer, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until Beef is almost soft.
- Prepare vegetables. I recommend to cut them into chunky bite-size pieces.
- Add Onion, Carrot, and some other vegetables that require longer time to be cooked. Some types of Cabbage need to be added now. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add other vegetables that can be cooked quickly. I added Potatoes, Zucchini and Red Capsicum.
- When vegetables are cooked, season with Salt & Black Pepper, and add Tomato pieces, that will be cooked very quickly. When Tomato pieces are soft, it is done.