‘Tofu Skin’ OR ‘Bean Curd Skin’ is made from Soy Beans. When Soy Milk is heated, a protein rich film (skin) is composed on the surface. The films are used for a variety of vegetarian dishes. Chinese dried Tofu Skin products are available from many Asian grocery stores in Melbourne where I live. They are quite different from Japanese Tofu Skin, that is called ‘Yuba’ in Japanese. I recently discovered some Chinese products have quite firm texture and can be used as noodles.
Dried Tofu Skin Sticks (Bean Curd Sticks) *Note: This is the product I use.
*Note: Some products are not suitable as they are too soft OR they stay as twisted sticks.
- Soak Dried Tofu Skin Sticks in plenty of warm water for 15 to 30 minutes OR until softened.
- The product that I purchased get softened very quickly. This image was taken after 5 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, the sticks are completely soft.
- Drain, rinse if you want to remove the unpleasant smell, drain again, and gently squeeze to remove excess water.
- Cut into noodles in the thickness of your choice. These noodles can be stir-fried, boiled until softer and added to salads OR soups.