I recently discovered some Tofu Skin (Bean Curd Skin) products can be used as noodles. Some products might be too soft, but the Chinese Bean Curd Sticks I purchased have firmer texture. When the twisted sticks are rehydrated and softened, they can be cut into noodles. These noodles can be a life saver for those who have gluten allergy. And you know Tofu Skin is a great source of protein as it is made of Soy Beans.
20g Dried Chinese Tofu Skin Sticks (Bean Curd Sticks) *I used 4 sticks
*Note: Some products are not suitable as they are too soft OR they stay as twisted sticks.
60g thinly sliced Pork *cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 to 1 Cabbage Leaf
1 small Garlic *finely chopped
Additional Vegetables *e.g. 4cm Carrot, 1-2 Shiitake Mushrooms, Garlic Chives, etc.
1/2 tablespoon Oil *I used Sesame Oil
Salt & White Pepper
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine) OR Water
1/2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1/2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- Soak Dried Tofu Skin Sticks in plenty of warm water for 15 to 30 minutes OR until softened. Drain and cut into noodles. *Note: Today I cut them into the thickness similar to Fettuccine, about 5-6mm. You may wish to cut thicker.
- Combine all the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Prepare Pork and Vegetables. Cut all ingredients into bite-size pieces OR slices.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, cook Pork, add Onion, Carrot and Garlic, and stir. Add Cabbage and Shiitake, and lightly season with Salt & White Pepper.
- Add Tofu Skin, stir to combine, then add the Sauce and Garlic Chives, and stir for 1 minute.