Many months ago, I decided that I would make ‘Black Forest Trifle’ next time I have some leftover chocolate cake. However, no such ‘next time’ ever occurred. But I didn’t want to bake chocolate cake just to make this dessert. ‘Isn’t there any easy way?’ I wondered.
I was looking for ready-made chocolate sponge or a substitute for chocolate cake in a supermarket one day, and I saw the familiar substitute. It’s Arnott’s Chocolate Ripple Cookies!
I made the dessert yesterday for our anniversary and my husband gave the thumbs up and encouraged me to put the recipe on the website. OK! Here it is!
Chocolate Ripple Cookies 200g
Canned Pitted Dark Cherries 1 *425g
Sweet Sherry 1/2 cup
*Note: Alternatively you can use the cherry juice from the can for non-alcoholic dessert.
Dark Chocolate *shaved OR grated
Whipped Cream Custard Ingredients
Egg Yolks 2
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Flour 1 tablespoon
Milk 1/2 cup
Vanilla Extract 1/2 teaspoon
Cream 300ml *whipped
- First you make ‘Whipped Cream Custard’. *Whipped cream without custard is just fine, if you prefer.
- Place all Whipped Cream Custard Ingredients except Cream in a heat-proof bowl and whisk well to combine. Cook in the microwave in medium power about 500W for 1 minute. Mix well, then cook again in medium power for 1 minute and mix well. Cook again, if required, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat cream using an electric beater or a whisk until firm peaks form. Add the whipped cream to the cooled custard and mix well.
- Drain the pitted cherries, reserving the juice if you use the juice to moisten the Chocolate Ripple Cookies.
- Place Sweet Sherry (OR reserved cherry juice) in a small bowl.
- Dip the Chocolate Ripple Cookies in the Sweet Sherry and place in the serving glasses. If necessary, break the cookies and place. Add the cream custard on top of the cookies, then place 3 to 4 cherries. Repeat the process. Then finish with the top layer with the cream custard.
- Gently cover with plastic food wrap and rest in the fridge for 4 to 5 hours, so that the cookies get soft and moist.
- Decorate with shaved dark chocolate and serve.