I recommend you to stock a bag of rice in your kitchen for always. Canned Tuna are often on sale at supermarkets, stock them as well. Already washed and ready to serve Baby Spinach Leaves are very handy to have in the fridge. Of course you must have Eggs. Then you can create such a yummy, low-cost and great looking dish.
Cooked Rice 1 serving
Canned Tuna in Brine/Water 1 *about 100g, drained
Spring Onion 1 *finely chopped
Oyster Sauce OR Soy Sauce 2 to 3 teaspoons
Sugar 1 to 2 teaspoons
Sake (Rice Wine) 1 tablespoon *optional
*Note: Canned Tuna in Brine needs less seasoning.
Baby Spinach Leaves 1 to 2 handfuls
Garlic 1 small clove *grated
Salt 1 pinch
Toasted Sesame Seeds 1 to 2 teaspoons
Sesame Oil 1 teaspoon
- For cooking Tuna, a small non-stick frying pan is the best. Place all ingredients in a frying pan and cook Tuna and Spring Onion until liquid is almost gone.
- Boil a kettle of water. Place Spinach Leaves in a colander or a large strainer, and pour the boiled hot water carefully over the leaves evenly. Pour cold water over to stop cooking further, drain and squeeze to remove excess water.
- Place the leaves and other ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Egg can be cooked using microwave. See my Onsen Tamago recipe. Alternatively you can boil it.
- Half fill a bowl with hot cooked rice and cover it with the Tuna mixture and Spinach. Place the soft-cooked Egg on top and enjoy.